Sunday 20 October 2013

Late August. Our First Wild Camping Trip.

Late August was the wedding of my one and only niece. As my son and family were coming down from Scotland and my daughter and family were coming over from Germany, we were a bit short of bedroom space, so Mike and I decided to go and ‘Wild Camp’, up on a smallholding, belong to our neighbour Malcolm, otherwise known as Oddjob.
Off we set, complete with generator and the dog, Rowley and made our home for the next couple of nights.
Conveniently, so we thought, this land was just a few hundred from our ‘Local’ pub. Having prepared dinner, off we went, with Rowley in tow, for a couple of pints.
When we left, it had just got dark and a Farmer I’d been talking to in the garden of the pub left at the same time. We walked across the common and onto the lane before, the Farmer drove out. I was holding my phone out, with the light on, just to be sure he knew where I was. Mike and Rowley were walking a few feet  behind me. As the vehicle drove by me, I heard Rowley yelp. I turned to look but there was no sign of Mike, or the dog! Walking back a few steps I then saw Mike’s head and feet protruding from a ditch and Rowley sitting alongside him.
A visit to A & E confirmed nothing was broken but Mike had strained some ligaments in his foot.
Not the best start!

No comments:

Post a Comment