Monday 2 June 2014

Polperro

9th April

Having visited Looe, I realised I’d been there with my son, a few years earlier, when I had gone down to collect my lovely old BMW Bauer Convertible, which I was buying off him.

I also remembered going to a quaint fishing village with him, which I presumed must have been Polperro.

As Polperro wasn’t too far away and we could get a bus from Looe, we decided to go the next day. This time we went on the shuttle bus to Widegate and from there the bus into Looe and then another to Polperro.

However,  before we went out, I had a promise to complete. One of my friends, someone I worked with for several years, had recently suffered a terrible and tragic loss. Her second child, another beautiful daughter had died in her sleep at the age of 7 weeks, her little heart just stopped. This day was to be her funeral and at midday, those who couldn't attend were asked to wear pink and blow bubbles, to mirror what would be happening at Kempsey Church. 



I had great trouble holding it together for much of the day.


When we got to Polperro, it was the place I remembered from my visit to Simon and this time Mike and I had our lunch there, in one of the old pubs. Crab Sandwiches again for me!!











Polperro is a very pretty place and as the weather was good, we decided to go on a short boat trip. I took great care on the stone steps down to the boat, Mike, on the other hand was being Mike and not concentrating on the matter in hand. He was fiddling around in his wallet getting his money out, rather than watching where he was going and took a tumble, money and cards flying everywhere. Thankfully he wasn’t hurt, other than his pride and we managed to retrieve all his possessions.

The trip was not especially exciting but on a warm sunny day, a pleasant way to pass half an hour. I do love the sea.

On the way back up to catch the bus we stopped at one of the local artist shops and bought a handmade freshwater pearl necklace, with two silver hearts, as my present for our forthcoming Pearl Wedding Anniversary, on Easter Monday.


The buses, all worked to time, which was good, until we got to Widegate, when we found that in the afternoon, the shuttle didn’t work for a couple of hours and that we had to wait an hour for the next ride. If ever there was a village with nothing to do in it, Widegates is it. Not only that I was bursting for a pee! I think that was one of the worst hours of my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment