Sunday 12 January 2014

How Times Change

No pretty pictures today, in fact I hadn't intended to post at all. 

The morning started bright and sunny, early on but quickly became grey and drizzly, so ideal for our plan of staying on-site, joining the Gym and then having a swim.

I just felt the need to record my thoughts on this, as it occurred to me, how the world has changed in my lifetime.

I was born in 1953, shortly before the Queen's Coronation. By the time I was old enough to remember, I would see bombsites in Birmingham, still not redeveloped. Everyone was still living with a post-war mentality, even though rationing was finished, folk were still very 'Make-Do-and-Mend'. Furniture was 'Utility' and horses were still sometimes seen making deliveries on carts.

My Grandmothers were born, one in the Victorian era and the other in the Edwardian. My Maternal Grandmother was an old woman and died, well before she reached the age I am now. My Paternal Grandmother was 69 when I was born and frankly, was ancient from when I first knew her and did little more than sit in a chair until her death at the age of 82, when I was a teenager.

What would these ladies think of me, now, almost 61. Living in and driving a large MotorHome. Working out at the Gym and swimming and in general behaving pretty much how I would have done in my 20's.

I wish I could bring them back and show them how life has changed for us all but in particular for women. 

I'd show them how their Great Grandaughter now lived in Germany and how I would fly there, on my own to visit. How I would drive, on my own, 350 miles to Scotland to visit my Son and his family. 

There is still a lot wrong with this world but we have seen some incredible changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment